Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Drogba coming home


Didier Drogba, one of the most talented striker in the history of football is now returning to his team Chelsea after his illness rocovery. On his return to Marseille, Chelsea striker Didier Drogba insists his heart is still very much with the French club.
The 32-year-old will be back at the ground where he is still adored as a legend despite spending only a season there.
And he is expected to receive a warm homecoming when his current club Chelsea take on the French side in the Champions League on Wednesday.
With both side assured of a place in the last 16 of the competition, all eyes will be fixed on the Ivory Coast striker as he makes his return to the Stade Velodrome to face his former side.
Drogba, who moved to Stamford Bridge for a record-breaking fee of £24 million six years ago, admitted he has been waiting for the day he would 'come home'.
"I'm coming home, this is a meeting I've been waiting for ever since I left Marseille,' the Ivory Coast striker was quoted in the Daily Mail newspaper.

"I was disgusted at having to sign for Chelsea. That may seem strange but that's how I felt. No offence but Chelsea didn't mean a whole lot in France. It didn't mean much to me.
"I knew they were great footballers but it wasn't my team. It wasn't my OM. 'I just didn't have any desire to be part of their team."
His passion and love for Marseille has been well documented.
In his autobiography, Drogba revealed the devastation of leaving the club for Chelsea.
He was quoted: "How can I explain this passion which borders on insanity? Words sometimes fail me. This virus has spread through my blood, the blood of a long-time fan. 
"I loved this club even before I joined it. I fell head over heels for it. One season was all it took to steal my heart."
While the striker is desperate to face his former club, his fate still lies in the hands of Carlos Ancelotti.
But the Chelsea boss admitted it would be 'crazy' not to feature him in in the match and is well aware of the special bond his striker has with Marseille.
"Didier will start. I am not crazy," said the Italian.
"I do not recall any other player who has this sort of relationship with a club he played at for only one year but it is clear Didier will always have a big place in his heart for Marseille.
"It will be emotional for him to play here. He wants to play well and show he is the best. He will want to show the supporters the player he is."
Emotions aside, Ancelotti will be more concerned that the 32-year-old starts finding the net again.
Drogba, who has only recovered from malaria, has echoed his coach's views and is eager to get back to full fitness and form.
"It is important for me to play better than I am doing now,' he added.
"I have been sick for a few weeks and it has been difficult to come back to full fitness really quickly. 
"I am happy with the way I have recovered and am trying to help the team but I know I must do better."
Chelsea have sealed their place at the top of Group F while Marseille have all but booked their passage into the last 16 thanks to their massive goal difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment